The Neue Synagouge is the home to the "Centrum Judaicum" or "Jewish Center" in Berlin.
The original building was designed and built between 1859 and 1866 by Eduard Knoblauch in the Moorish style. The building incorporated two pillars with golden domes, in addition to one large, central dome rising up over 50 meters.
For many years, the Synagogue was the center of Jewish Berlin, and showed the prosperity of this community in the early 20th century.
During the Kristalnacht, a pogrom in November 1938, the building was set alight, however was spared heavy damage by a Police Lieutenant who managed to order the Nazi mob away so that the fire brigade could get the fire under control.
Unfortunately, the Synagogue was not so fortunate during World War II, when the British bombing campaign almost completely destroyed the building. It was in such a state of disrepair after the war, that in 1958, the Synagogue was torn down.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, steps were taken to restore the Synagogue, which reopened in 1995. However, the former state of the old Synagogue was never fully realized. From outside, the building looks very similar to how it once was, however a large part of the rear end of the synagogue was never rebuilt. The land where the building once stood is now marked with the original layout, so visitors can imagine how the structure once looked.
Today, the Synagogue houses a number of exhibitions. The permanent exhibition details the history of the Synagogue and the area in general, from the time of construction up until the present day. Other exhibits are temporary and change on a regular basis.
The Neue Synagogue is located in central Berlin and can be reached easily by public transport.
Neue Synagogue Reviews
Be the first to write a review about the Neue Synagogue! See below for more information.
Have you already visited the Neue Synagogue? If so, let everyone know what you thought about it by writing a review! No registration necessary. Just click here to start writing!