Popular hotels and destinations
to Connolly Station
to Tara Street
One of the most prominent buildings on the northern banks of the River Liffey is the Custom House. Completed in 1791, it is a striking building built in the neoclassical Georgian style and was originally used to collect custom excise duties. It later became the headquarters of the local Irish government. Custom House is now used by the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government.
Its elegant façade incorporates several significant Irish features. The fourteen keystones above the doors and windows, called the Riverine Heads, represent the thirteen main Irish rivers and the Atlantic Ocean. Intricate sculptures adorn the façade including the Irish coat of arms.
Unfortunately, during... read more